Perfect for grilling, chargrilling or barbecuing – depending on the time of year!
Serves: 4 adults
Preparation time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 12 mins
- 500g skinless turkey breast cut into chunks
- 150g low-fat natural yoghurt
- 2 tsp tikka masala curry paste
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander (optional)
- 180g wholegrain brown rice
- 1 red pepper deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 courgette sliced
- 2 handfuls lettuce leaves chopped
- 1/4 cucumber chopped
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp green chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
What to do:
- Put the turkey chunks into a bowl (not a metal one) and add the low fat yoghurt, curry paste and coriander (if using). Mix together thoroughly, then cover and chill for at least 20 minutes, though you can leave overnight if you prefer.
- When ready to cook, soak 8 wooden kebab sticks in hot water for a few minutes. (This will help prevent them from burning). Put the rice on to cook in a large saucepan of gently boiling water. It will take about 30 minutes.
- Thread the turkey chunks, pepper and courgette onto the kebab sticks, alternating the pieces.
- Preheat the grill, or a char-grill pan or the barbecue. Cook the kebabs for about 10-12 minutes, turning often. Make sure that the turkey is thoroughly cooked by checking with a sharp knife – there shouldn’t be any pink juices.
- Meanwhile, mix together the tomatoes, red onion, chilli and coriander for the relish. Serve with the kebabs, along with some lettuce and cucumber.
Tip 1: Use chicken instead of turkey, for a change.
Tip 2: Wholegrain rice will provide you with more fibre and B vitamins – remember that it takes longer to cook than white rice.
Tip 3: If you’re not keen on coriander or chilli, simply leave them out.
- Per portion (i.e. . recipe)
- 1573kJ / 376kcal
- 37.5g protein
- 45g carbohydrate of which 9g sugars
- 6g fat of which 1g saturates
- 2g fibre
- 284mg sodium equivalent to 0.7g salt