This simple dish is surprisingly tasty – and it’s very economical too.
Serves: 4 adults
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions sliced into thin rings
- 4 tomatoes sliced
- 3 tsp mild paprika plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 4 slices wholemeal bread
What to do:
- Cook the eggs in gently boiling water for 10-12 minutes to hard-boil them.
- At the same time, heat the vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the onions and cook over a medium low heat, stirring often, until very soft – about 10 minutes. Add a splash of boiling water if necessary to stop them from sticking.
- Add the tomatoes and paprika to the onions and cook for 5-8 more minutes. Season with a little black pepper.
- Shell the eggs and quarter them. Toast the slices of bread and top with the tomato mixture and the eggs. Serve, sprinkled with a little extra paprika or black pepper.
Tip 1: Add the paprika according to taste. Choose smoked paprika if you like.
Tip 2: You can serve the tomato mixture and eggs on top of cooked wholegrain rice for a tasty vegetarian light meal.
Tip 3: If you enjoy spicy food, add a pinch of chilli powder or chilli flakes to the tomato mixture.
- Per portion (i.e. ¼ recipe)
- 874kJ / 209kcal
- 11g protein
- 24g carbohydrate of which 8g sugars
- 8.5g fat of which 2g saturates
- 4g fibre
- 256mg sodium equivalent to 0.6g salt