Cheap, cheerful, and very easy to cook… Kedgeree with a kick.
Serves: 4 adults
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 300g easy cook white or brown rice
- 4 eggs
- 200g skinless cod fillet cut into chunks (or pollock)
- 120g skinless smoked haddock fillet cut into chunks
- 120g skinless salmon fillet cut into chunks
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 150g frozen peas thawed
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
What to do:
- Cook the rice in boiling water for 12 minutes, until tender. At the same time, hard-boil the eggs for 10 minutes.
- Put the chunks of fish into a large frying pan and add a little water. Heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes until the fish is opaque. Drain.
- Shell the eggs and quarter them. Drain the rice and add it to the fish with the curry powder, peas and parsley. Heat, stirring gently, for 2-3 minutes. Season with black pepper and serve, topped with the eggs.
Tip 1: Look out for ready-prepared plain fish pie mix from the fresh fish counter – also sold pre-packed – to save some money.
Tip 2: Use mild curry powder, or none at all, if you’re not keen on spicy flavours.
Tip 3: Another time, use frozen mixed vegetables instead of peas.
- Per portion (i.e. . recipe)
- 2046kJ / 489kcal
- 35g protein
- 65g carbohydrate of which 2g sugars
- 12g fat of which 2.5g saturates
- 3.5g fibre
- 347mg sodium equivalent to 0.8g salt