Wrap chicken breasts and finely sliced vegetables in their own little packages to steam to perfection.
Serves: 4 adults
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
- 4 skinless, boneless uncooked chicken breasts
- 4 spring onions trimmed and sliced
- 1 carrot cut into matchstick strips
- 1 courgette cut into matchstick strips
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
What to do:
- Cut 4 pieces of greaseproof paper or baking parchment, each measuring approximately 30 cm square.
- Put each chicken breast onto a separate square of greaseproof paper.
- Mix the vegetables together and place an equal amount on top of each piece of chicken. Sprinkle with five spice powder (if using), the ginger, soy sauce and black pepper.
- Fold up the paper to wrap up the chicken completely.
- Put the parcels into a steamer (see tip). Cover and steam for 35-40 minutes.
- Check that the chicken is properly cooked. Unwrap one parcel and insert a sharp knife into the thickest part. The juices should run clear with no traces of pink.
- Serve the chicken in the parcels, along with vegetables and noodles, rice or potatoes.
Tip 1: You don’t need a fancy steamer to make this recipe. A fold-out steamer tray or a colander that fits inside a saucepan will do nicely.
Tip 2: It’s important when steaming to make sure that the water never boils dry. Check from time to time and top up with extra boiling water if needed.
- Per adult portion (i.e. 1/4 recipe)
- 660kJ / 158 kcals
- 29g protein
- 3g fat, of which 1g saturates
- 4g carbohydrate, of which 3g sugars
- 1g dietary fibre
- 79mg sodium
- 0.2g salt
Notes: This recipe has been taken from the Change4Life ‘Supermeals for under a fiver’ cookbook